Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Growth Mindset: Finding Similarities in My Classes

I am taking 2 graduate courses, my capstone, this class, and an intermediate language course this semester. These may not seem to have a common thread, but after using this Growth Mindset, I think there is one. One of the biggest things I have noticed this semester is that I truly enjoy all of my classes. I enjoy (most of) the subject matter; the assignments, while definitely challenging, are not entirely overwhelming; and I'm really learning a lot.

When separating out all of my classes and taking a look at the most exciting challenge in each, I find that one thing is common to all of them: I really want to get as much out of these courses as I can. I am far past the point of taking classes for requirements, and am really enjoying getting to choose exactly what I want to learn. Thus, I find myself worrying that I am not getting every single thing that I can out of these classes, and performing up to the level that I should be. 

(Lack of enthusiasm!!, web source: Public Domain Pictures)

I think this Growth Mindset is applicable to things past just classes. I also feel like, in everything I do in my life, I should be seeking to get the absolute most I can get out it. I shouldn't let experiences pass by that leave me with the bare minimum that I could get out of them. 

I think this was a useful challenge in that I feel like I've had this sense weighing on me, but I haven't ever put it into words. I think seeing it out in front of me will hopefully inspire me to achieve these goals and rise to these challenges that my classes are facing me with. I have certainly had a busy semester, but I shouldn't let that be an excuse for lackluster experiences.

You get out what you put in!

No comments:

Post a Comment