Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Learning Challenge: 10 Books for a Desert Island

1. The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.

This is three books (a trilogy) that depict intertwined characters throughout major historical events. The first book is centered around World War I. You meet a set of characters and, throughout the book, you see how their lives and paths cross. The second book is about World War II. The third is during the Nixon Administration. Each of the characters comes from a different part of the world, which makes each vantage point unique and fascinating. I love these books because they are so well written and teach you some context around major events that you have already learned about in history classes!

2. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

I mean, do I even need to explain why? This is the biography that started the social phenomenon that is Hamilton, the musical. Besides reminding the American people how influential this founding father was, this book is a mastery of biographical literature. Chernow is an amazing writer and this book is beautifully written. He brings life to the ten dollar founding father!

3. Washington by Ron Chernow.

Very similar to the reasons listed above, but, obviously, this book is about another American founding father. This book unearths the man who chopped down a cherry tree as a boy and who was the first to lead our great country.

4. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

Duh.

5. The Divergent series by Veronica Roth.

I really really enjoyed reading these books when I was in high school and was immensely disappointed by the movies. I feel as though if I was on a desert island with nothing but time, reading these a couple times over again would begin to replace the movie versions in my head. I always, in a way, looked up to Tris. She's much braver than I would ever be capable of and these are a very easy YA read.

6. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling.

Mindy Kaling is my shero, and I find everything that she does or writes hilarious. I read this book in a span of like 2 hours and laughed the entire way through. She's a phenomenal writer and actress and I wouldn't be able to live without something of hers! If I can't have The Office or The Mindy Project, then I'll take her book.

7. Ana Karenina

This is the kind of book that I've tried to start a million times but either never get into, or don't have enough time to dedicate to. I think sitting on a desert island will certainly free up some time so I think I'd like to bring this so I can finally get through it.

8. A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.

The reason for these are a compilation of the last two. I've never read these books, even though I've been meaning to, but I've watched some of the series. I really really enjoyed the series and figure if I can't watch it while stranded, the next best thing would be to have the books.

9. Watership Down by Richard Adams.

I absolutely hated this book when I was forced to read it for a class in grade school. I would use it to light a fire to keep myself warm.

10. How to Get Off of a Desert Island

:)

(My Preferred "Desert" Island, web source: Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment