Monday, September 5, 2016

Feedback Thoughts

I think giving feedback is something that isn't as effective as it could be in some classes. The reality is, most students aren't comfortable giving constructive feedback for fear of seeming too mean or judgmental. For me, it also comes from the fact that a lot of the time I feel as though I'm not qualified to give criticism. At my old job, at the end of every semester we had to give feedback on all of our immediate supervisors and then they had did the same for us. This seemed fine with me, because there was a level of anonymity. However, then we had to meet with our higher-up supervisors and then try to explain the comments that our supervisors made about us. I found that, for myself, this kind of feedback process really did not work for me. Receiving the comments about my work ethic from an anonymous source was already a blow; having to explain them to my highest supervisors was near torture.

In reading the articles about taking advice, I found myself in a lot of the examples of what not to do. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so getting feedback that isn't all positive seems like a major failure to me. Criticisms kind of hit me like a brick, but it's something to work on. Especially since in about a year's time, I'll start applying to law schools. This process necessarily requires a process of putting yourself and your accomplishments out there and waiting for an unknown committee to say yes or no to you based on how you appear on paper. Nerve-wracking!

I don't think a certain kind of feedback works the best for me; I receive it all in kind of the same way. I'd be interested in reading others' blogs to hear about the different kinds of feedback and what works and what doesn't!

(Feedback, web source: Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment