Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Arabian Nights Part A

Arabian Nights. Link to reading here.

Alright, this is a super long segment. There are a lot of different things going on here, and following the different intertwining story lines is definitely difficult. The many layers of the story are certainly confusing as well. BUT, I kind of just constructed a story map as I went. Which helped a ton.

Although I read a whole mess of stories this week, there's a whole lot to work with. Some of the stories are pretty funny, probably due to the ridiculousness of it all.

My favorite, I think, was the story with the young king of the Black Isles. I actually laughed out when it mentioned that the king is beat by a buffalo skin every single day. I probably shouldn't have laughed, but I did anyway. But that tale has interesting complexities, with the Sultan's plan to deceive the enchantress. I think telling the story from a different vantage point, like the King or the enchantress herself or even the slave that's being held in the tower unable to communicate. This could put an entirely new spin on this story and make it something new or fresh.

I think another idea would be to use the story of the Greek king and the physician and then the physician's revenge. I'm not entirely sure how I would make this one my own just yet. I like the greater story of the king being mistaken and then revenge immediately being taken on him. I also like the supernatural concept of the severed head and the book. Again, I'm not sure on this yet. I'll be thinking on this while reading the other half of the reading.

(Fisherman & the Genie, web source: Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment