Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Reading Notes: Arabian Nights Part B

Arabian Nights. Link to reading here.

It was interesting to try to determine similarities to the Disney version of Aladdin. Aladdin was my all time favorite movie when I was a child, and, of course, I was heartbroken to find out that Abu and Iago were not in the original!

I also found that Aladdin rubbed me the wrong way some of the time. I suppose that may the same as in the movie, as well. I think it's also interesting to think about the transposition from the story being in Asia and the movie being in the Middle East. I found that to be odd, but I'm not really sure I could figure out why that was the case. I also found it challenging to follow the two genies, and couldn't figure out why the genie from the lamp could do some things that the genie from the ring couldn't.. I also feel like Aladdin had a lot more wishes that should have been allowed?

I can see Jafar's character in the magician, when he moves the palace and takes the lamp from Aladdin and takes Princess Jasmine for himself. It seems like Jafar is a combination of the grand-vizir and the magician.

I thought that the magician's brother seemed to be a completely extraneous character, and the story could have ended before he showed up. This is especially because this all happened in the last story.

I think the princess' vantage point would really be cool for this story. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were married to one man and then all the sudden, as if by magic, you appeared in the bedroom of another and he simply slept in the same bed as you? I'd be pretty freaked, for sure. Following her from the palace in Asia to being magic'ed all the way to Africa and visited by some creepy dude? I think I could have a lot of fun with that one.

(Dreams of a grand palace, web source: Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment