Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reading Notes: Faerie Queen: Britomart Unit, Part A

Link to reading here.

I think this is a really fascinating story, with a LOT going on in each individual installment.

The character of Britomart is truly fascinating, with a lot of complexities that would be really interesting to take apart. At the same time, however, she seems almost superficial with her love of the knight after only seeing him in a mirror. This is how tales are meant to go, however, so I'll allow for that.

I think a very obvious connection to be made here is between Britomart and Mulan. Each put aside the societal expectation of them as women, and decide to do something greater. Both of them choose to leave home under a disguise and pursue journeys that would more often be associated with men. Mulan seems to have somewhat grander purposes for her journey. Her quest was to defend her family's honor and protect her father. I somewhat feel like Britomart's is a little more realistic (remembering that both of them are wildly unrealistic), because it shows a young woman leaving her parents' home on a whim in order to find the man of her dreams.

I think I could take her story in a different direction from the seeming frivolous journey she is on. Instead of pursuing a man, I think I would attempt to very loosely use Mulan's sense of honor to beef up Britomart's story a little bit. I don't want to pull directly from Mulan and copy her story exactly, but making up something that gives Britomart back a little bit of character and expand on her life could make it a more complete and wholesome story.

(Britomart, web source: Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment