Thursday, November 10, 2016

Storytelling: King Arthur

Tor was unnerved.

Tor was someone who always seemed to be unnerved, even when he was a small child. He never seemed to take anybody at their word. He always seemed uncomfortable among all of his family members, including the enormous amount of siblings he had. He wasn't like them and he never tried to be. All 13 of his brothers liked to be in the fields working, but Tor always dreamed of something greater and more honorable.

This was what was unnerving Tor. His brothers and father had been harping on him for days now. The crops weren't doing so well and they were afraid that they wouldn't have enough to go around this season. Usually, they sort of let Tor do what he wanted. He was usually holed up in his room, or taking long walks around the property, thinking.

Tor knew that he wasn't going to be able to go on much longer, but didn't see anyway that he could leave the house because he didn't know where he would go. But, his birthday was coming up and he had been dreaming of something that he thought would benefit everyone.

He was going to ask his dad to take him to King Arthur's court and ask for him to be knighted. He was asking tonight, on the eve of his birthday, at dinner.

"Tor, what are you thinking about?" his dad asked.

"Yeah." Tor answered. His brothers chuckled, a few of them elbowing each other. Tor flushed scarlet and his eyes fell to his lap.

"Son, your birthday is tomorrow and you haven't told us what you'd like to do for your birthday," his dad said.

Tor mumbled something indecipherable.

"Lift your head, son."

Tor's eyes flitted toward his father, without raising his head.

"I thought we could go into town tomorrow," Tor said.

His dad looked apprehensive. "Well, I'm not sure about that.."

"Yeah, I get it," Tor said curtly.

His dad sighed. This is something that often bothered him. Tor didn't ever ask for anything. It was his birthday, and he always tried to go the extra mile for this boy.

"Alright, let's go into town. Your brothers can take up my work for the day."

A few of the other boys audibly groaned, but Aries ignored them and Tor smirked toward his lap.

---

Early the next morning, Aries woke Tor up. 

"C'mon, let's get a move on before your brothers get up."

Tor's eyes flew open and he sped to get ready. He met his father at the front of the house and they set off together towards the town. Aries thought Tor simply wanted to see the town, to get out of a rut, for his birthday. But Tor had other plans.

"What d'you want to see first once we get there?" Aries asked his son.

"Well.." Tor replied, with his eyes falling towards the road.

"What is it?" asked Aries.

"Dad.. I want to go to the castle."

"Ha, well of course we can do that."

"There's more."

"Okay, what's next on your list?"

"I want to speak to King Arthur." Tor knew that this wouldn't go over entirely well with his father, but he knew what he wanted and he was so close to getting it.

"Well, son, King Arthur doesn't exactly take time to visit with people like us."

"I know, but I have a request for him. I want something that only he can grant."

Aries was really confused at this point. What was this boy talking about? He had never asked for anything in his entire life, and now he's asking for something from the KING?

"Tor.. I don't know about this. What could you possibly want from King Arthur?"

"I want him to make me a knight of his Round Table."

Aries stopped. "WHAT!? Now, if that's why you've dragged me away from an entire day's work, I am very disappointed in you."

Tor didn't say anything, but kept walking. He knew what he wanted. Aries couldn't believe what he was hearing. 

They were coming up on the castle, and Aries decided to throw caution to the wind. What could it hurt? The worst that the King could say is no.

They entered the castle and made their way to the Throne Room. King Arthur was seated with other members of his Round Table, talking animatedly. A squire announced Aries and Tor's presence in the room to the King. Aries could see his eyes scan across the room until they came upon him and the boy standing next to him.

"What business do you have here, sir?" King Arthur bellowed.

Aries approached the throne and knelt, with his head facing the ground.

"Your Highness, I am Aries, this is Tor. We are from just outside of town and have come here to celebrate Tor's birthday. Please sir, we don't have much and my boy does not ask for anything. And only you can grant him this birthday request, Your Highness."

"Yes, and what might that be?" asked King Arthur, losing patience.

"My King, my son would like to be knighted and welcomed as a member of your Round Table."

The room grew silent; all chatter from the other knights and squires in the room halted.

King Arthur rose from his throne, but neither Aries nor Tor could see the look on his face.

"Stand up, boy."

Tor stood, keeping his eyes downward.

"Look at me."

Tor nervously looked straight ahead into the face of the king. King Arthur stared straight back, with an unbending gaze. Then he backed up, and gave Tor a few once overs. He sat back on his throne, looking deep in thought.

"Alright."

"Sir?"

"Your boy will return here tomorrow for his knighting ceremony, after which you will say goodbye and he will join me and my knights."

Aries looked incredulous. But, so as not to waste the king's precious time, he grabbed one of Tor's shoulders and turned him about, quickly moving towards the door. Tor stopped just short of the grand entrance, looked back to see the king following his every move, and gave the grand room a half-smile.

He couldn't wait to be back tomorrow.

(Knights of the Round Table, web source: Wikimedia)

Author's Note:

I used the story of King Arthur for this storytelling post. The part of the story that includes Tor is very brief, only mentioning that his father entered King Arthur's throne room with Tor and asked the king to make him a knight. King Arthur agreed on the spot and made him a knight right then and there. I simply expanded on the day that Aries decided to do that, and gave Tor a little more character. I did a little research on Sir Tor, and it seems that Aries was not his true father. King Pellinore was. This fact is often thought of as why Tor never fit in with his family with Aries and his 13 brothers. He was the son of a king, and he sought greatness. 

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I enjoyed reading that story a lot. You drew me in right away with your opening line, and you skillfully transitioned into describing Tor. You also made good use of dialogue, and conveyed the family dynamics well. I liked how you gave your readers a glimpse into Aries’ personality, so we could see where he was coming from, as well as Tor. This was fun!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberley!
    I wrote my story this week on King Arthur, too. ☺ It was really refreshing to read yours, since I have read the original/mine so many times now. You did a fantastic job of creating dialogue and the formatting is awesome! I love your take on this story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberley,

    I really enjoyed reading your story this week! I am familiar with many of the King Arthur stories so I appriecated your ability to keep the framework of the original intact whilst making it your own. The detail of adding dialogue pulled me in as a reader because I felt like I was there as a fly on the wall! Great job and thanks for such a fun story!

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun retelling of the traditional King Arthur stories! I took Arthurian Literature last fall and we read a ton of stories about young men hoping to be knighted and the quests they had to take! I like that for your story you centered it around the Tor's birthday! That was a fun twist, especially when his dad found out! When you said that King Arthur was watching him smiling I wanted to know what he was thinking!! Great job and I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberley,
    I chose to read your story because I just saw yesterday that there is a King Arthur movie coming out next year. I was very intrigued to see what you had to write and I enjoyed reading this story as well! Once again, great job at including dialogue. You are different than many other writers in this class because the majority of your stories is dialogue. This isn't a bad thing, however. It gives personality to the characters and also gives the reader a closer look into the story.

    ReplyDelete